Re: [ST] '05 wouldn't start

Hey Ken,

Welcome to the list!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have just had the 10k km service on my '05 ST and part of that was to re load the standard tune as there were bugs in the factory load. I did notice a slight difference, but apparently different bikes suffer different symptoms.

The other thing that springs to mind from the plug fouling you describe, is the fuel you are using. Not knowing what part of the world you are in means I'm just speculating. To give an example, in Australia Shell sells a premium fuel (about 98 octane) they brand as Optimax. We soon discovered that motorcycles didnt like it. Carburetted bikes would have their plugs fouled within 1,000kms. FI bikes would take a little longer or would not foul at all but at service time the plugs would be very black. After a lot of complaints Shell threw their hands in the air and said they had no idea why it didnt work in bikes and there were no additives in it that would do this. Their official line now is not to use it in bikes. We're not a significant part of the market for them in this country. BP, Mobil & Caltex premium fuels are all fine.

The other thing I would say is to check the colour of the exhaust smoke. Is it burning oil or running rich, for instance?

Hope you sort it soon.

Brett
Sydney.