[ST] Ride Report...sort of...(long)

Ok. So the other day I set off for a ride to work. Its winter, but warm. One
of those sunny days that make it perfect for riding.

As I right this I'm on my third day off in four weeks. (Day two wasnt really
a day off but I counted it as such as I finished at 6am, got to sleep until
midday and didnt go back until 7am the next day).

So as I pull into the traffic this day, I lament that I've lost count on how
many tanks of fuel I've gone through recently just commuting the 55km round
trip to work, when I remember McCarrs Creek Road. A 12km detour of tight twisty
tarmac, (2nd gear all the way on the ST, 3rd if you want to get brave), bumpy
in sections, but perhaps enough to satisfy my cravings.

I ride responsibly through the built up area and finally reach the first
35kmph right hander. I take it easy and manage to apply some power on the exit.
All feels well and I'm chuffed at myself for remembering to come this way. I
warm up through the next bunch of corners and feel ready for my favourite up hill
section with its series of left, right, left combinations finished by a
faster open right hander. I'm in the zone as I complete this section and set myself
up for the next positive camber, left hander. For the moment I dont even know
where I'm going. I'm just riding and loving it. I already know the lines I'm
going to take through the next five corners as I counter steer left and roll
on the throttle.

Then a funny thing happened. Right at the apex, the front tyre chatters
violently and pushes. While quietly S***ing myself, I react and stand the bike up
before I hit the traction challenging centre line. Of course this puts me
nicely on the wrong side of the road. Fortunately I'm alone out here and
successfully navigate the next two corners and put myself back where I should be. Being
snapped back to reality and reminded of ones own mortality is not my idea of a
good time.

So now I'm at a crawl, trying to figure out what just happened and the
sequence required for effective breathing. The tyres still have plenty of life and
air, so I reckon its the suspension set up. I havent really messed with it
since new, so maybe after 12,000kms it needs the static sag set up for my weight.

So today, The Lovely Sharyn and I set about the process as per the
instructions provided by Race Tech.
(http://www.racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm)

We start with her '92 CBR600F and discover that the rear is set at 38.5mm
while the front is at 24mm. Perhaps thats why she has been saying that theres a
lot of vibration through the bars? Its easily adjusted to around 33mm at both
ends for her small frame and we move on to the '05 ST.

We discover that the rear is at 37mm while the front is at 38.5mm. Buoyed by
the ease of the previous bike, we soon discover that a little adjustment on
the Triumph doesn't go a long way. Eventually eight clicks on the rear pre load
has the sag at 33.5mm. Four turns on the front gets us to 34.5mm, but we're
running out of adjustment. I'm afraid that if we go any further, spring bind
will be the result.

It was getting on dark as we finished, and theres a bottle of red waiting for
us inside, so the test ride can wait for tomorrow.

If you've read this far - I thank you and finally we arrive at my questions.

I'm trying to educate myself on the black art of suspension.

Is the '05 ST softly sprung, meaning I could go to stiffer springs?

If the springs are designed to carry the weight of bike and rider, what
effect does  damping have on the story?

Cheers,
Brett.