[ST] Throttlemeister & Yriumph heated grips......

I searched the archives and didn't find an answer to my question so.......

I finally got around to buying a Throttlemeister and am trying to
install it on my 2002 ST.  I have factory heated grips installed
already.  If I follow the instructions it says to "rollback" the
throttle side grip about and inch and put their collar in.  It appears
to me that grip can't be rolled back without damaging it.  Does the
collar need to be inserted?  Am I doing something wrong or just being
stupid?  Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks!

George