Re: [ST] GIVI Boxes

Hi Brett!  I'm three months into using the Givi bags and rails, and still
enjoy them.  It's very useful to have 41 liters of storage.

I've been through some heavy rain and they have proven to be water proof,
which is great.  I really like the quick opening hatch at the top, because
I'm often taking small things in and out and the hatch saves me from
having to open the whole case with the key.

Speaking of keys, they give you three, and all locks are the same, so you
only need to carry one.  It's a funky shape though, which I find a bit
annoying (large oblong top to the key - a bit bulky).

I haven't worried about the look of the rails because I never take the
cases off except to load them for a trip.  But I've heard the same thing
as you about the SW Motech rails.  The SW Motech rails are less obvious
than the Givi rails if you remove the backing plates.  But with the bags
off and the plates in place, I think they actually look worse than the
Givi's.  Those backing plates are huge from what I've seen in pictures.

One negative I've experienced is that my right case if a bit fiddly to
open all the way.  The hatch is fine, but the main clasp holding the case
closed sticks, so I have to hold the clasp and push on the case to get the
clasp to pop off and release.  It's not difficult now that I have it
worked out, but it shouldn't do that.  The left side sticks a tiny bit
too, but not enough that I have to push on it like the right side.

The only other thing is that the left case is loose on the rear lower peg
that attaches it to the bike.  I don't know if material from the case wore
away, or what it is, but I can jiggle the case on it's mount, which I
couldn't do when it was first installed.  It's still very secure, it just
moves a little on that peg, and sometimes I hear it rattle when I'm in
motion.

But overall I'm happy with the cases and I'm glad I have them.  Besides
the two little issues they have worked well so far and hold a lot of gear.

Here are pictures in case you missed them in my earlier post...

http://www.ozzy.net/jdscott/sprint/

...and pictures of the install...

http://www.ozzy.net/jdscott/sprint/givi_install/

...and installation instructions that I wrote up...

http://www.ozzy.net/jdscott/sprint/givi_install/givi_rail_install.txt

I hope I haven't scared you away with my negatives, because the cases
really are nice.  But I wanted you to get my full impression and have you
aware of potential issues.  It'd be curious to know if anyone else with
these cases are having the same little issues.

-- Joshua D. Scott
-- 2006 Sprint ST (ABS)