Re: [ST] Jackets and gloves

On 22 May 2006, at 14:29, Jim Crate wrote:

> But they mention that the "waterproof, breathable liner" is between
> the vents and your body, making the venting somewhat ineffective.
> I'm curious if anyone has any direct experience with this style of
> jacket, whether the venting will work well enough to wear the jacket
> in the summer.  Some of the jackets have a zip-out windproof and
> waterproof liner, so I'm wondering if something like that might be
> more usable.

I've not worn it in anger, but I had a good look at this at the last
NEC show in UK - http://www.rukka.com/lfashion/rukka/rukkawww.nsf/
vwpages/93B51A0030DDCB85C2256F7F002E9641?opendocument&expand=1.6.1
Fitted well when I tried it on - if I ever get the cash I'd be
tempted to get one.  The fabric is strange, in that it does appear to
let the air flow through it - relying on a waterproof / windproof
liner to provide protection in cold weather (along with a 'blow up'
liner to get added insulation).  Seems quite strong - though if you
really want to be sure Rukka also do a (horridly expensive) suit
called SRO which is made of super-strong material but has the same
air-flow / insulation features.  Someone else browsing same stand
said they had one and it was remarkable in being able to go from very
cold to very warm conditions without problems (though you do have to
zip in / out various liners apparently).

I know someone else who had the BMW Rallye Pro 2 which is similar
(zips, liners, vents etc.) and he took it on a ride around Tunisia
(off road) without apparent problems of overheating etc.  http://
www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/com/en/index_frameset.html?content=http://
www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/com/en/products/riderspoint/motorcycle_suits/
textile_suits/textilesuits_rallye2pro.html

I've got an ancient Triumph textile jacket which apparently has
'breathable' fabric and has a cold-weather zip in liner, but no
'vents'.  Not good on hot days.  Which suggests vents might be a good
thing.

Gavin Lawrie