From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jack Hays
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 9:34 AM
To: st-triumphnet.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
st-triumphnet.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Swing your pipe

Dan wrote: How easy would swinging the pipe up be for an amateur?  30
minutes?  Are there step by step instructions on how to do this?

Dan, I don't know about step by step but here is what I do.

1. Remove the two small bolts on the inside of the footpeg holder and
sit
aside.

2. Loosen the allen head bolt at the outside rear of the bracket by the
turn signal. Leave in place after loosening.

3. Slip and open end wrench between the side panel and hold it against
the
bolt head as you turn the nut on the inside of the fender at the middle
of
the bag bracket. The wrench will slip on the bolt head to hold it as you
then remove the nut.
4. Now remove the allen head bolt at the turn signal.
5. Remove the wrench, push the bolt outward, and pull it outward of the
frame with your fingers flat between the frame and outer panel where the
wrench used to be. The bracket will come down as the bolt clears the
frame.
Place the bolt and nut on the bracket that just fell in your lap and sit
aside.
6. Reinstall the allen head bolt.
7. Place two washers on the two small bolts and reinstall on the inside
of
the footpeg holder. This will keep the holes clean and you won't loose
the
two bolts.
8. Take a white or silver paint marker and put a small arrow pointing up
on
the inside of the bracket that goes between the pipe and frame bracket.
This will help immensely when your ready to reinstall the bracket.
Always
place the arrow on the inside and pointing up and your home free. The
first
time I did not do this and had to get someone to send me a digital
picture
of the bracket orientation before I got it right.
9. Loosen the top and bottom bracket bolts.
10. Loosen the pipe to header clamp quite a lot. Notice the position of
the
clamp on the pipe to reinstall it in the same position to avoid it
hitting
the center stand when reinstalled.
11. Remove the top and bottom bracket bolts and nuts. Note, the top long
bolt does not have to be removed. It's in a rubber mount. The bracket
and
can both will fit over it just fine.
12. Install the short bolt and nut back on the bracket.
13. Store the bracket in a baggie and place in storage with the bag
bracket.
14. Swing the pipe upward while pivoting on the header pipe until the
can
bracket aligns with the frame bracket hole.
15. Install the long bolt and nut to the can bracket.
16. Tighten the pipe to header bracket.
17. Enjoy the upward sweep of the can on your bike.
18. repeat in reverse order to reinstall the bag bracket.
Seems like a lot of steps and it took me about 30-40 minutes the first
time
but now it's under 15 as I lay out the tools and just do it. I think the
looks are worth the effort.

Jack Hays
972-952-5065
"I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon"