[ST] Thoughts on a Track Day

So me and a few DCRats went to a track day on Monday.  We ran the Summit Point Main circuit in West Virginia with NESBA.  Good times for sure, and NESBA seemed to run the day well.  I have come away from the track day with a few thoughts.

1 - The stock rear shock on the ST is truly shit (well not that bad, but cranked all the way up on preload and damping, and the rear still wallows when getting on the gas hard leaned over driving out of a turn....).  Not a good shock for serious riding.

2 - Getting tires at a track day are definitely cheap.  $138 installed for a new 180/55 rear - that's great!

3 - I had to run the beginners group as it was my first time ever on this track (or any track without a County Road number, cross streets, on-coming traffic, etc...).  There are people with serious track machinery in this group - they are F**KIN' slow!!  With only being allowed to pass on the straights, blowing down the straights sucked because I would get stuck behind a pack of people and not be able to run the turns very hard.  My control rider waived me past after two laps, and I started shooting through the group.  I ride way too fast for the street.....

4 - I'm hooked and looking for a track bike and trailer.  Not worrying about my license is a serious bonus!

It is a blast, and anyone who is thinking of trying this definitely should....as long as you are willing to then shell out the money to continue (boy, this sounds a lot like my cocaine addiction...lol)

Matt Heyer