Re: [ST] 520 Chain Conversion

That's a 95% truth. There actually is a miniscule acceleration advantage, but it would normally be one that is so slight, you wouldn't ever feel it. You can tell on a dyno, as there is less frictional losses, and less weight in the drive train. It would measure about 1/4 hp on a 160hp machine. You think you can feel it? I can't, lol. And the weight savings is definatly there. They run narrower sprocket, and the narrower, smaller chain. It would be about a 2 lb savings. Once again, very minute (the same weight of about a quart of gas) but sometimes you need that little advantage. It's the adding up of all the weight savings from losing a lb here, 2 lbs there that all add up to help. On it's own, you cannot tell. With new bodywork, lighter wheels, 520 conv, rear sets, clip ons, that can all add up to 15-30lbs of savings. Now that's something that can be felt in turn 1!  Also, the 520 chains are easier to break and rivit during sprocket swaps :)

  I wouldn't ever do the conversion on anything other than a 100% track/race bike.

  Justin

Matthew Heyer <matthewheyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I ran across this on the NESBA racing message board. Thought it was interesting as we just discussed this topic:

"As far as I'm concerned, that's one of the biggest old wives tales out there. No racer I've talked to (that I trust and believe) can feel an accelleration and handling difference from going from a 525/530 chain to a 520 without also changing the gearing. I know I can't feel it. The reason racers switch to a 520 is because that's what everybody uses and that's what the trackside vendors carries, so they can easily get replacement parts while at the track."

Matt Heyer