Re: [ST] Several questions--remapping

Richard,
I think you have pulled us into a real semantics issue.  Ping is detonation not pre-detonation.  I think you may be referring to pre-ignition because I'm not sure if pre-detonation really exists outside of explosives ordinance desposal :-).  Ping and the whole octane thing is built around the fuel burning at the proper rate and not detonating or burning too fast.  Pre-ignition is as you said, igniting too soon.  That definitely can be caused by playing with your TuneBoy in areas far above your pay grade.
Rod