Re: [ST] Several questions

2) Yeah, it's on the lower end of the RPM scale.  Usually around 3-4K.  I
guess I could always just downshift...

David,
I think I'm getting a good picture of what's happening.  When my ST was stone cold stock and I was coming out of one those wunnerful PA 180 degree hairpins at very low RPM's, even in first gear you couldn't just dump the throttle and launch without ping, shudder, lug or other bad things happening.  Some sections were so tight there was no such thing as "maintenance throttle."  My Triumph off road pipe really helped and an 18T sprocket was even better, BUT if you still get the wrong combination of RPM, throttle and gear you WILL ping even if you put rocket fuel in that puppy.  I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this but there are places where you may even have to slip the clutch to get the R's where they need to be.
Rod