Re: [ST] valve shims and throttle bodies

On Nov 4, 2006, at 7:58 PM, st-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hey Shawn,
>
> If you have an '02 ST, that would be the newer 955 engine which uses
> the
> 'shim under bucket' setup, and this means you DO NOT use the valve shim
> removal tool -- you have no option but to pull the cams if shims need
> replacing.

D'OH!!!

When Neil wrote this I was about to write an email back about how my
factory service manual clearly says I need to the valve shim removal
tool. Then Fred Nizery's post supported Neil's comments. That's two to
one against my manual. I finally got the bright idea to double check
the manual. It does indeed require the tool. Then I looked in the front
and realized the part number for the manual is wrong for my VIN#. I've
had this manual for only a couple of months and just got around to
getting into some of these more complex service issues. I found my
original order receipt from azsbk.com and it confirms that I gave them
the correct VIN#. I sent a message to them. Now we'll see if they'll
correct their error even though it's a couple of months later. Many
thanks to the liSTers for helping me recognize the error.

SRM
'02 BRG ST
Pasadena, CA