[ST] Back to allroad

Today I said a final goodbye to my BRG Sprint. Bought new
last year (leftover 2001) it had accumulated 42.000 km since
March 2005. From all the (totally different) kinds of motorcycles
I had over the past 13 years this was really one of the best
and nicest. The total package was very allround and on top
of that a lot of fun. Yet, especially during the recent trips
I made in the Black Forest, the Vosges mountains and south-
eastern Germany (Schweizische Frank) I longed again for an
allroad kinda bike. I had an R1150GS ABS for 2.5 years and
loved the handling, seating position and lack of engine heat,
but hated the engine itself, the gearbox and the reliability.
Looked at the V-Strom, but wasn't sure about the quality,
certainly didn't like the terrible fuel economy of the DL1000,
neither that of the Honda Varadero. KTM 990 Adventure is cool,
but also bad on fuel, high on maintenance (yet easy) and probably
a bit too low on comfort for me (screen too high and straight,
saddle still too narrow), brakes aren't the best either.

Thanks to discovering systems like the Pro-oiler and CLS (German)
I considered the Sprint last year and a chain driven allroad
very recently. After being able to sell it privately via internet
advertizing (the dealers, even the Triumph ones, were not eager
at all to take this bike unfortunately) I got a good deal on a
new 2006 black Yamaha TDM900A GT. The Yamaha "allroad" sportsbike
with ABS, bags, centerstand and two in line 900 cc engine (a bit
like the BMW F800S, but with different firing sequence). It has
allroad-like suspension, but the rest of the package is as sporty
as the V-Strom / Honda Varadero / Capo Norde. It "only" has 86 hp,
but at 193 kgs dry (ABS version) it is very light. Not a V-twin,
but a twin in line, so it's smooth. Very smooth is also the gearbox.
Brakes are amazing, straight from the R1. Also from the R1 are the
dash, the blinkers and the rear swingarm. The wheels are from the R6,
the bags from this GT version are from the FJR.

The TDM has always been (from the beginning of the nineties) and
still is designed for European Alpine passes. Something between a
big enduro and a streetbike, a bike perfect for small bumpy mountain
roads. What I also like about this bike is that it somehow has very
similar fuel economy as my '01 Sprint, which was extremely good.
It has a 20 liter tank, so the range is great. I'm adding a CLS Speed
chainoiler, a very nice, advanced and durable German setup. I will
also change the steering bar into something more straight and less
chrome. Added already are a few black blinker lenses. Here are the
first pics: http://piloot.smugmug.com/gallery/1841615/
I think, for now, it's the perfect allrounder for me.

I think I will also like the new Tiger 1050 coming up. I never liked
the looks of the previous Tiger, but the new one looks promising.
Beyond my budget and probably also not too lean on fuel if it's like
the new Sprint. But we'll certainly be checking out the Tiger as
soon as the TDM has had enough from my abuse across the Alps, Pyrenees
and Picos the Europas :-). Although by that time there will probably
be some new Yamaha Ténéré 1000 coming up as well...

I'll keep on monitoring this list, interesting stuff still comes by now
and then. I won't bother you guys with the Yammie experience anymore ;-).
At least is has been a great Triumph experience the last 18 months.

Emile
www.piloot.com