From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrew Tait
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 6:24 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Reasonable price for ST'03 is...?

Gavin,

They'll NEVER offer top dollar (or indeed pound) on their first offer.
I ran into this before when my TDR250 was stolen and they offered me
silly money for it.  After a long phonecall of "perfect condition, never
dropped, only 4,000 miles" etc., they finally capitulated and offered me
an acceptable figure.

I'd go in with the "I don't think anything less than the good private
sale price is acceptable" attitude and see how far they go, assuming
that that price WOULD be acceptable.  After all, they're meant to be
providing you with enough money to replace the bike with something of
similar condition, and you can easily argue that £4,000 isn't enough for
that.

Oh, they won't take new tyres into account, as they're consumables, but
the heated grips, relays and scott oiler are accessories and should be
covered.  Get a value for them (Around £400 in total new?) and use it in
your bargaining ("A bike of that age, in that condition, with £400 of
accessories and a full service history will cost me at least...")

Average mileage is 8,000 miles in year 1 and 6,000 miles thereafter (I
think), so let's say 20,000 as an average mileage for a 3 year-old bike.
  So 22,000 isn't, ummm, miles over that.

Give 'em a kick.  It IS an offer after all, and you have every right to
refuse it and to tell them what you think the bike is worth, or what you
feel you need to replace it.

Good luck!

Andrew