Re: [ST] 2001 Sprint ST burning oil

Jim HIGGINS wrote:
> I hope you find an easy answer as my 99 uses oil like that also. It
has since
I acquired from original owner. He told me about it at the time.  Have
replaced the head and valve seals as I had a nicely ported one to swap
on, but that made no difference. The bores all looked good when I had
the head off and there was not a lot of carbon built up anywhere. Runs
really nice so ?? <

The most common source of oil consumption on our bikes is the failure
of the rings to have seated properly during the initial running-in
process.  This causes a glaze on the cylinder walls which prevents the
oil control rings from bedding-in and oil consumption is the result.
This far beyond the warranty period, it's unlikely that the factory
will do anything to remedy the situation.  My '01 uses a similar
amount of oil.  I'm not troubled by this.
--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST