Re: [ST] chain and sprocket time

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Dan Wetherington wrote:

> Bil Swartz wrote:
>> Looks like it's time to do the chain and sprockets on the '03, might as
>> well since the rear tire is pretty well shagged after a 400 mile romp in
>> WV yesterday!
>>
>> I know I'm gonna go with the DID 530ZVM2 but need to confirm it's a 108
>> link in length.  It's easy to get 'em to size now it seems from those that
>> sell the newer ZVM2.
>>
>> Also need to confirm the '03 gearing is 18/43.  And does anyone have a
>> good source for sprockets, or have used the JT's or other aftermarket ok?
>> I read the rubber damper is primarily for noise damping at testing time
>> but that there can be other issues such as shimming needed if aftermarket
>> isn't same spec in width?
>>
>> Ahhhh, spring time!
>>
>> aTdHvAaNnKcSe,
>>

> Bil,
> The correct length is 108 links.  As for the sprockets, I believe they
> switched from the 18t to 19t in either 2000 or 2001.  So if you want
> stock sizes, you need 19/43.  The best source for the front sprocket is
> still Triumph, as they have the rubber damper built into theirs.  I
> don't know if any other manu. makes the front sprocket that way.  I'm of
> no help for rear sprocket though, as I haven't changed mine yet.  So I'm
> listening for suppliers as well...
>
> Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan,

I'm still having trouble nailing down the stock gearing, our chart and
several others out there haven't been updated since the '00-'01 model
years and I thought I'd seen somewhere that the '02-'04 had changed to
either an 18 or possibly a 17.  Hate to have to pull the old one off
before ordering to find out!

A post a long time back indicated MotorcycleOnlineStore.com as a good
source, and they did get me a cut to length DID 530ZVM2 for the VFR so
will likely order from them again, once I get the sprockets nailed down.

Anyone got a good source of gear info that's up to date?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe,
--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\