Re: [ST] gas gauge accuracy

My 99 ST, around town, regularly got 350kms to reserve. Once the reserve
light came on I had exactly 40kms of fuel available. Yes, I tested this a couple
of times. I did about 85,500kms on that bike and this never varied any great
amount.

Spirited riding could see as little as 200kms to reserve.

On the highway, touring etc, I could get as much as 500kms to reserve, with
about 100kms available to empty. I never did test that.

I got to know what the fuel gauge was telling me after a while. At the point
where it moved from indicating full, I would have about half a tank. It would
drop at a steady rate from there. In this operation it was consistant, so I
was able to work out my fuel range quite easily in any riding conditions.

My best ever was a ride from Sydney to Brisbane, about 1000kms, on less than
two tanks of fuel.

My 05 ST with the 1050 motor is a very different kettle of fish. Its the
thirtiest bike I have ever known, but the return on investment is well worth it,
so I forgive her...

Brett.