[ST] Ride report: Day 1, part 1

Friday, April 20.
         Bird Dawg and I are to meet at the intersection of Highway 423 and
   720 at Albertsonâs Express gas stop at 8:15 AM this morning.
         I got there about 8:00 and fueled Merlin who was looking splendid
   after the cleaning and polishing she had yesterday.
         I was at the pumps and had just completed fueling when I heard
   âRude Dog, Rude Dog, Man thatâs classicâ and laughing behind me. I
   turned around and it was a middle aged black man who worked there and he
   was chattering about Rude Dog and Merlin. He was excited and asked me
   all kinds of questions and thought the bike looked really fast and cool.
         I talked to him for about ten minutes and then pulled Merlin to
   the exit to wait for Bird Dawg.
         It felt really good to finally be setting out on another adventure
   with Bird Dawg. We usually do these trips three or four times a year but
   last year the Corvette restoration lead to no trips after April, none in
   the fall, and none so far this year. Bird Dawg and I hadnât even been
   able to ride together for months as one thing after another got in the
   way.
         I saw a single light headed north on 423 and fired Merlin up as I
   was sure it was the Dawg.
         I was correct and I waited to pull out when he got there. The
   light changed to red and I eased Merlin along side Kermit and came to a
   stop.
         Man, this just felt right and way too long without it happening.
   Bird Dawg reached his hand out smiling as we shook hands and welcomed
   each other to another adventure into the Ozarks.
         As soon as the light changed we made our way north to Highway 380
   and headed east toward McKinney.
         Highway 380 is usually really heavy with traffic and overloaded
   with trucks but for some reason today it was light. Maybe we just hit a
   hole in the flow?
         Even stranger was the fact that we caught all of the lights green
   except one on Highway 380 and rode the speed limit all the way to
   Highway 75 and our meeting point. I was shocked as the last red light is
   usually backed up for close to a half mile in the morning and takes
   three to four lights to clear!
         As we dismounted I said that I couldnât believe our luck with the
   road and traffic. Plus, we were about ten minutes early. That is a good
   thing as I wanted to be there when Hank and Ted arrived to make them
   feel welcome.
         Ted arrived about five minutes later on his Honda VTX1300 and had
   already fueled.
         As I was talking to Ted I turned around and saw Hank at the pump
   with his bright racing yellow Triumph Sprint ST. Hankâs bike looks
   fantastic in this yellow and I still wonder why the factory never
   brought this color out.
         After a short discussion about where we were headed, where we will
   stop, donât try to follow and keep up with anyone, riding your own pace,
   and not worry about getting lost with our âStay on the road and weâll
   re-group at the turn offâ we saddled up. I lead us out onto US 75/69
   north toward Oklahoma.
         We were riding along about 73-74 MPH and made great time all the
   way to the border in mid sixty degree weather.
         The Red River was really flowing this time as the heavy rains have
   lead to a lot of discharging at the dam upriver. I gave the great state
   of Texas my normal farewell salute as I crossed the Red River and
   entered Oklahoma.
         We kept the pace up on US69 and pulled into the Shell station in
   Atoka where we fueled the bikes and took a short break for the rest room
   and something to drink.
         During this stop I repeated again our planned route and then lead
   us back on 69 and north toward Stringtown.
         At Stringtown we turned east on Highway 43 and after following a
   truck through town we got back up to speed as we made our way toward
   Lake Sardis.
      Highway 43 is the first good section of road and a good primer as it
   is desolate and has gentle sweepers. There are two mountain ranges on
   both sides that gradually close together and meet at Lake Sardis. Both
   ranges were bright green and I could feel the air being cleaner and
   sweeter as we made our way deeper into the wilderness.
      Bird Dawg and I were riding along at a nice pace when I noticed a
   large truck close behind David. I increased the speed about five or six
   clicks and we pulled slightly away from the truck. The truck however was
   cooking and really hustling through the curves.
      Somewhere behind the truck is Hank and Ted. I hope! Weâll see how
   they handle the riding style we use and if they do Bird Dawg and I will
   be sitting at Lake Sardis waiting for them.
      Bird Dawg and I were stopped and just getting off the bikes when the
   truck came by and turned on the dam. He was smiling and laughing and
   seemed to enjoy seeing us and having someone to chase across 43.
      Right behind the truck was Hank and Ted and they pulled off with us
   for a short break and to see the lake and country side.
      Bird Dawg lead us north across the dam, through Yanush, a right on
   Highway 1, through Talihina, and out to the Talimena Parkway.
      We had planned to stop at the base of the parkway for another break
   but there were about thirty bikes there. Bird Dawg and I know what
   happens when a large group gets in front of you so we both nodded at
   each other and I lead us on the climb up the parkway. I had already told
   Hank and Ted about the truth in advertising when a curve sign reads 25
   MPH or 15 MPH. The others could safely be taken at a higher than posted
   speed but those two really meant it and to use caution when they saw
   one. In addition, sometimes a sign may say 15 MPH but you can easily go
   faster and then you hit the next turn which is what the sign was about
   but there wasnât room for it.
      I pulled us over on the first rest stop on the left that had a nice
   view for a quick break. The air was pretty humid today and the resulting
   moisture lead the valley to appear smoky with humidity.
      Bird Dawg lead us away from the stop and I played tail gunner to see
   how they were doing. Both Hank and Ted were doing really well, riding
   their own pace, and keeping in their own lanes. That is until the next
   15 MPH sign. I saw it coming but there was nothing I could do as one of
   them made the first turn easily but then the second one was much slower
   and they crossed the middle stripe a little. Luckily he was only there
   briefly and once back in our lane a truck came around the corner from
   the opposite direction. I hope this was a good learning exercise as all
   is well but I hope they see the danger now.
      I took off to catch Bird Dawg and had Merlin in forth gear the next
   thirty miles to the lodge.
      I love this road as forth gear will let Merlin run up over the ton at
   8-9,000 RPM and when you let off it pulls you down for the next upcoming
   turn. When you are in the grove you never have to hit the brakes and
   just use the rhythm as you sail along on top of the ridge. This was one
   of those days and I had a smile on my face the rest of the way to the
   lodge.
      I slowed down before the lodge to wait for Ted and Hank and we then
   turned right past the steam locomotive, stopped at the miniature train
   tracks, and then pulled into the parking lot at the Queen Wilhelmina
   Lodge for a break and lunch.
      As they dismounted I asked what they thought of the parkway and they
   both grinned and said it was a nice ride. I love to show folks these
   magical roads and hope they like it enough that they want to come back
   again.
      Once inside we sampled the buffet for lunch and relaxed.
      I told them it was another fifteen more miles across the parkway to
   Mena, Arkansas and we would stop there for gas before heading north to
   even more great roads.
      I lead us around the lodge and back on the parkway headed east to
   Mena. We had warned them about the series of turns where you can see
   four or five right together sweeping right and left. They look inviting
   but the last one tightens up and to be aware of getting in too hot. If
   you were too hot to stay off of the brakes and just keep repeating in
   your head âTrust the tires, trust the tires, trust the tiresâ and you
   could ride through it safely.

Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
972-952-5065
"I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon"