[ST] Day 1, part 2

At Mena we pulled in to the Valero we always stop at and gassed up the
bikes.
      Bird Dawg lead us out of the gas station in Mena north on Highway 71.
   I volunteered to run tail gunner and luckily I did. Hank and I caught
   not one but two red lights trying to get out of town. By then Bird and
   Ted were long gone. As always there is no panic because we stay on the
   same road until a turn off and there re-group. I knew where we were
   going and how far it was but hopefully Hank can see this in action and
   it will help on our next trip.
      We passed through âY Cityâ and at Waldon just as predicted Bird Dawg
   and Ted were at the turn off.
      I told Hank and Ted that we will ride Highway 250 until we hit
   Highway 80 and weâll meet you guys there. Bird and I took off and
   Highway 250 was as fun as ever with its roller coaster ups and downs. A
   couple of these will get the front end light or off the ground if your
   under power, and who can resist that, and then press you down as you
   reach the bottom and compress the suspension as the road starts climbing
   again. I love it and I hope they are having as much fun as I am. Thereâs
   nothing but chicken farms, creeks, trees, and hills on both sides as you
   climb and fall and then do it all over again for several miles.
      We stopped at the intersection on Highway 80, regrouped, and then
   headed east through Union Hill and Blue Bell all the way to Danville
   about twenty miles away.
      At the intersection of Highways 80 and 27 in Danville we stopped and
   waited for Hank and Ted. This was a nice stop as it had warmed to about
   eighty degrees now. I had removed the jacket liner in Mena and now I
   changed from the Motoport  jacket to the Sport jacket and summer
   gloves.
      Bird Dawg lead us through Danville and onto Highway 10 to Havana.
      At Havana we took a right on Highway 309 and pulled up in front of
   the âBig Smithâ painted on the red brick building for a photo shot.
      Bird knows I love climbing up Magazine Mountain so I lead us out of
   town and toward the mountain. It appears that our fear of last year is
   correct as there is never any traffic on this road but today there are
   four cars and a truck in front of us. We thought it was neat that they
   were building a state park lodge on the side of Magazine Mountain but
   feared the lodge would also bring vacation traffic. Regrettably, I think
   we were right.
   Nonetheless, I slipped Merlin in third and quickly dispatched the cars
   and truck. From then on it was just me, Merlin, the howl from my can,
   and the road as I accelerated toward the next turn, backed off and let
   the motor pull me down, started accelerating slowly through the turn,
   applied full throttle as the turn opened up, and blasted to the next
   turn only to repeat the exercise again. Oh what fun and all the time
   with a great big smile on my face. Man I love this stuff.
      Turn after turn went flying by and I loved the acceleration and then
   the speed loss as I turned into the next curve and felt the front tire
   fight for traction and then get light as I applied more throttle. I
   could do this all day long and never tire of it!
      As I made the tight uphill left I knew the next straight brought the
   overlook, eased off the throttle, and coasted into the parking area
   completely delighted with the ride up.
      I removed my helmet and gloves and went to the overlook and saw cars
   followed by motorcycles on the last long stretch below me.
      The cars passed and my three riding buddies pulled into the overlook.
      Itâs a pretty impressive sight here looking out across the valley
   with the Boston Mountains in front of you and the Ozarks behind you.
      Ted thought it was pretty cool seeing the vultures soaring for dinner
   BELOW US!
      We took a fifteen minute break and several shots in the clean air.
      The only negative was that there had been a fire since the last time
   we were here and most of the trees in this immediate area were leafless
   and scorched. Nature will find a way to repair itself but for now it is
   still beautiful. Plus the lack of leafs gives an almost winter feel to
   the place as you can see the rocks and roads usually only seen during
   the winter.
      Bird Dawg lead us down Mount Magazine and through Paris where Highway
   309 changes to a flat open area about thirty miles in length. Itâs still
   a nice road with a good view of the mountains in the distance and a few
   really good sweeping high speed curves. We just sweep along this road
   until we turned right on Highway 23 and into Ozark.
      Once in Ozark we made a left and rode through town, turned north as
   Highway 23 did, and pulled into the familiar Oxford Inn where we will
   stay tonight.
      We were soon in our assigned rooms, unloaded, and walked across the
   street to a store where we bought some drinks and relaxed by the not yet
   opened pool.
      Shortly afterwards we then headed off to dinner but the River Side
   Bar-B-Que restaurant had quite a line and a twenty minute wait.
         We then rode over to Altus and stopped at a small English Pub
   David had found on his last trip.
      The food was OK but the best thing there was a small local band of
   young guys playing music that were fun to watch and listen to.
         We had no idea how much we were paying for the food but found out
   later that it was about twenty dollars each! Oh well, the band justified
   it for me and it was different.
         Now back to Ozark in the cool night air and after a short
   discussion weâre off to bed.
         I hope Hank and Ted rest well for we have a full day of riding
   planned for tomorrow.

Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
972-952-5065
"I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon"