Re: [ST] No traffic legislation

Emile

It's an idea that I have a lot of time for but it is not clear whether
it is sustainable. If it is the recent removal of signs and new found
freedom that brings the social responsibility then it may well wear
off.

We have some width restrictions just along the road I live in here in
the UK.  Signs and road paint show which direction has priority and that
alternates between successive obstructions.  When first installed,
drivers would wait both sides as they competed to comply, but as time
went on, they would speed up on approach to try and get through before
the oncoming vehicles got too close - much hooting of horns etc.!  So
all it did was buy some time safety-wise before degenerating to
something arguably more dangerous.

My guess at a good solution would include less signs but more driver
education, stiffer testing and acceptance that some are not able to make
the grade and will never get a licence!

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> Emile@xxxxxxxxxx 27/04/2007 04:17:15 >>>
Few months old, but very interesting stuff:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,448747,00.html

Emile
www.piloot.com