Re: [St] Pannier bolt

Jack, Jeremy, Scoot,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.  I'm planning to have a go at
getting the old bolt out tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.
Reason for asking is that bolt has sheared off close to pannier
hanger, so no feel for what the top part of bolt looked like.  Think
I'm going to have to drill out stub from hanger before replacing.
But working against clock - am booked to head off on Thursday next
week for two weeks away in / around Pyrenees.  Went couple of years
ago, and had a blast.  Looking forward to doing more of the same...
but will need everything sorted before I go etc.

Nonetheless, before putting bolt back I'm hoping to work out why the
bolt sheared - had same frames on earlier 03 and rode 20K miles
without incident.  Only done about 3K since getting this bike set up
with frames, so something other than wear / tear going on.  I got a
local Triumph dealer to move frames, and other equipment from old
bike to new one - but increasingly appears that they are cowboys at
least wrt to working on bikes: I suspect that they put on wrong bolts
when putting frames on (so didn't want to simply put same bolt as put
on other hanger - as it is probably wrong too).  They initially
'forgot' to put on correct length indicator stalks (with standard
ones indicators bent out of true when panniers put onto frames),
seemed unable to fit a HCR to a scotoiler, and simply hotwired the
Autocom to battery terminals (no fuse, no relay...).  So using wrong
bolts, and / or doing other things to mounts is totally in range.

Anyhow - thanks again for very helpful info / links.  Much appreciated.

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03

On 3 Aug 2007, at 13:37, Jack Hays wrote:

> Gavin, sorry for the late reply but I get the digest mode once or
> twice a
> day.
> OK, I don't have the size with me but I think you need to get it at
> the
> shop.
> They keep them in stock but the main reason is that it is a long
> shouldered
> bolt has threads at the end only.
> The smooth shoulder is to keep from eating into the plastic mount.
> Just my 2 cents worth.
>
> Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
> 972-952-5065
> "I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon"

2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@xxxxxxxxx
Registered number: 3754183.
Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/