Re: [St] gavin's pannier bolt

Hi,

Thanks to all for suggestions / comments on this.

On 6 Aug 2007, at 15:22, Jack Hays wrote:

> Then use a pair of vice grips to remove it.
> Easy.

LOL

That indeed was the plan.  I removed the whole hanger from the bike
and put into a vice with a view to removing the stub left by sheared
off bolt, and then reassembling with suitable bolts etc.  But because
person who assembled had used soft alloy for bolt, all attempts to
remove failed (tried vice grips, sawing slot into protruding thread
and 'unscrewing' with both conventional screwdriver and impact
driver) as metal simply bent / sheared under any duress.  Then tried
drilling out the bolt with hand-held drill - but lack of workshop
equipment (no suitable bench, no fixed drill) meant this was optimism
at work - proved impossible to drill down central line of bolt - so
all that resulted in was wandering drill bit-itis etc.  Considered
simply drilling through and bolting frames with stud and two-bolts,
but on basis that bolt hole would probably be in wrong place, and
even if it wasn't it would hasten along 'rat bike' status, I conceded
defeat long enough to call around to see if anyone had the part, and
how much etc.  On finding it available and not eye-wateringly
expensive I went for the new part.  I'm also not so confident in my
bodging abilities to want to find out half way around France that the
bolts have fallen off and LH pannier has fouled the swinging arm and
bad things are ensuing...

Anyhow thanks again for info and help - really was very very useful.
Hopefully next up will be a ride report concerning crossing France
and then doodling about in either the pyrenees or alps (or possibly
both!)...

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03

2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@xxxxxxxxx
Registered number: 3754183.
Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/