Re: [St] NMC: Oil's well that ends well, now Cap it

At 09:54 AM 8/13/2007, you wrote:
>Not so fast there buddy.
>Oils not well with all of the car guys.
>
>Those of us with 30+ year old muscle cars have a whole other problem with
>today's oils.
>The EPA dictated the removal of Zinc and one other additive about two years
>ago.
>then about a year ago muscle car motors started failing as the old oil was
>used up and the new oil started getting used.
>
>That's no problem with roller cams, as most new motors have, or low
>pressure points at the cam to rocker arm point with low lift cams.
>
>But those of us who have 60 and 70 era muscle cars have another disaster
>happening.
>Cams are going flat at a alarming rate.
>
>The removed zinc caused the oil to adhere and keep the cam wet but now the
>oil is draining down in cars started only a few times per month. And the
>dry contact points during start up is a killer.
>
>Within a few thousand miles the motor is wasted.
>As the metal wears away from the cam, is stopped by the filter, the bypass
>valve kicks opens up, and soon you have completely unfiltered oil
>circulating throughout your motor.
>
>There have been a large number of completely destroyed motors and it wasn't
>until the cam manufactures started investigating that the problem was
>isolated. Crane Cams in particular lead the research.
>
>The solution for us has been Shell Rotella R diesel oil. It still has all
>the additives we need for older high performance motors.
>But alas, the EPA is on the verge of eliminating it in diesel oil also.
>Our only alternative then is a engine rebuild and the installation of a
>roller cam or special (high $$$) racing oils that have the additives.
>
>Time rolls on.
>

>Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
>972-952-5065
>"I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon"

My point not that older engines did not need a specific formula, but
that motorcycle considerations were not even touched upon buy the new
'energy conserving' oils.

And there is one other option for you to preserve your flat tappen
camshaft equipped motors.

Install an Accusump accumulator.  You can find more information at
www.accusump.com
I've used them in both my triumph tr7/8's (one was a club level race
car, but the other one is a RHD roaster for the street), my old capri
with its Big Block V6 and a couple of other cars that I no longer own.
It will pressurize the top end before you start the motor so the cams
are always lubed at startup.

Oh and since your in there doing all that work running oil lines, why
don't you install a remote filter with dual filters. Yeah I know I
get strange looks when I buy 10 quarts of oil at the store for the
triumph (dual filters, two qt accusump, and a deep roadrace oil pan)
but then again how many triumph/rover 3.5l v8, have 80,000 since
their last rebuild an still don't use oil????

O yeah, I use regular mobil 1 in the 10w40 grade.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"