Re: [St] Gas Tank Expansion?

<<
Curious if anyone else has had problems with ill fitting gas tank? I have 2001 ST and recently had the tank off because female fuel fitting (plastic) was cracked and leaking. Upon picking up tank from dealer with new (metal) fitting, I attempted to put it back on and could not, for the life of me, get all three holes lined up. When I had the front one lined up, the rear two were nowhere near aligned (the tank mounting holes were at least half the width of the hole too far rearward). I got the front bolt and one of the rear ones in and ended up taking it back to the dealer to have them try. The service manager said one of the mechanics had a Tiger with the same problem. He suggested that, for whatever reason, the tank expanded. Since the bolt holes couldn't have moved, I believe that is the only other possibility but just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Chris'01 ST

The tank on my '02 ST has been like that since late '04, or so.  It's not a temperature thing, as has been suggested.  I have no reasoning behind it.  I just get the angle worked out where all 3 screws can be used.  It's maddening, to be sure.  But it can be done.  I've been worried lately that this might be wallering out the rear 2 screw holes in the aluminum frame.  But so far everything is still solid, when it's finally assembled.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2001 Yamaha YZ426f