Re: [St] Rear Sprocket replacement

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition...

Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Poor man, has trouble counting to two. (Must have something to do
with the Spanish Inquisition)

On Dec 2, 2007, at 8:11 PM, Rich Rumble wrote:

> Two things:
>
> 1) Loosening the countershaft nut via the holding the rear
> sprocket/wheel via the rear brake and breaker bar on the C/S nut:
> if the
> gearbox is in neutral and the rear wheel is held by either the rear
> brake or
> other method on the rear tire/wheel, how does that transfer a load
> to any
> part of the gearbox?
>
> 2) I have removed the staked washer on the rear axle by using a
> narrow-bladed screwdriver (a blade that fits within the channel in
> the axle)
> to remove the staking. I would recommend replacing that nut with a
> new one,
> as on re-assembly, the same region on the nut is likely to be
> present over
> the notch in the axle and upon subsequent staking the metal may
> fail. If
> this description is not clear, PM me for more detail.
>
> 3) On the other hand, reusing the washer on the countershaft
> sprocket
> should be ok as long as each reuse involves a different tab being
> bent down
> to hold the countershaft nut.
>

> HTH,
>
> Thunderdawg

Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707)
786-4643

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/
motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned