Re: [St] Petrol leak

I had the dealer change the male connector when it first failed.  I took a shot at changing the female connector myself.  I ended  up taking the tank to the dealer because I  couldn't get all of the plastic from the  female  connector out of the threads  in the tank.  I didn't want to damage the threads and make things worse (i.e. more  expensive) so I quit while I was  ahead and  let the shop do it.  I figured if they ruined the threads removing the connector then they could replace the damaged  piece at their cost.

You will have to remove the tank to get to the female connector.  It may come out for you, but for me, since the plastic nut head was where the crack/shear had occurred, putting torque on it from a wrench just finished twisting the nut head off leaving the rest of  the connector in the tank.

FWIW...

Chris> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:58:00 +0000> From: pmdavies@xxxxxxxxx> To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [St] Petrol leak> > anyone changed one themselves or is it best left to someone without> two left thumbs?> > On Dec 11, 2007 9:51 AM, iPat <pmdavies@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > i have a nylon connector coming out of the tank, linked to an alloy> > connector with the hose fitted. It looks like the nylon coupling has> > cracked as i can see the pin from the alloy. Camera battery was dead> > so ill put a picture up on photobucket later on.> > I asked about whether the recalled items were dealt with when i bought> > the bike and was told they were. Looks like as Chris Warren stated the> > female coupling has fatigued. I wont order from Houston even though> > ill be there in Feb, it might be quicker with the scottish dealer! ; )> >> > -- > Pat Davies> www.amag.org.uk> "If you don't go out in the woods, nothing will ever happen & your> life will never begin…"> _______________________________________________> Triumph Sprint ST/RS mailing list> Send list posts to ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Change your list options at www.Triumphnet.com