Re: [ST] Just for kicks! - no ST content

Doug and Rick, et al,

Yes, I remember kick starters. I used to say, "if you are not man enough to
kickstart the bike, you should not ride it." I have mellowed somewhat,
particularly since my '00 RS does not have a kicker, and I am not sure my 150 lb body
would do much good.

My first bike was a 1960 Ducati 200 that someone in AZ converted for dirt. It
was manageable, but had the kicker on the left.

I later bought a BSA 350. It had a compression release, though it was not
essential. As I remember, it started well enough. During my senior year at
Arizona State University, I traded the Beezer for a new 1970 Norton Commando 750.
That was interesting. Most times I needed to put it on the centerstand to get a
full kick with my puny body. The hardest day I remember was a clear, cold
morning on my way to school. I kicked it many times, trying to get the 50 wt oil
to flow. I finally got it lit, rode 4 miles in an unlined Bates Leather jacket
and jeans. I was frozen to the bone. Later in the morning, I learned the
weather folks had recorded a low of 18 degrees that day. BRRR!

I was out of motorcycles from 72 until the late 90's when a friend gave me
his 78 Yamaha SR500 that needed help. I cleaned it up and got it runnng for a
couple years. That was a challenge to start, more so when warm than when cold. I
returned it to my friend when I got my RS.

Now I have a new wee beastie to kick. It is a 67 Hodaka Ace 90. It, too,
starts better when stone cold than after running a bit. However, a little push and
bump is almost as good as an electric leg.

Steve Knudsen
Auburn, WA

Steve Knudsen Phone: 253-223-3737
Sr. Mortgage Banker Fax: 253-839-9093