[ST] Thank You Kryptonite.

And a big concrete column.

Early this week my condominium garage was broken into. Numerous vehicles
were broken into or stolen. Of interest to listers is the fact that the
thieves stole an '01 CBR 600 Honda. It was secured to a 3" diameter
metal post by means of a long and heavy (10 mm ) steel cable. They used
a "bolt cutter" of some description to cut the padlock. They then lifted
the bike into a van and drove off.
My '06 ST was apparently on the list to be taken too. The security video
shows the bolt cutter being applied in vain to the chain securing my
bike to a 14" by 20" concrete building support column.
I religiously lock the bike up using a combination of Kryptonite's Lasso
chain, their New York "fuggedaboudit" locks and a piece of chain I
bought from McMaster-Carr industrial supply.
The McMaster chain (www.mcmaster.com) is Part Number 36015T3. Except for
color (Zinc galvanized silver vs. Kryptonite's yellowish lacquer looking
finish) it appears to be exactly the same chain Kryptonite sells.
McMaster gets $10.88 per foot, which is about half what Kryptonite
charges, but Kryptonite do include a nice canvas cover to keep the chain
from scratching the bike up worse than necessary, and their "lasso"
chain has a nice round link on one end that makes it easier to secure
the frame of the bike.
I cut one link off the end of both types of chain with an air powered
abrasive wheel cut off saw, and both chains took about ten minutes to
cut. The bolt cutters, hack saws, and the like are shrugged off by both
chains. My opinion is that short of a cutting torch, no portable cutting
tool is going to be fast enough for any but the most determined thief. I
haven't tried a cutting torch, but I'm sure it would go through the
chain in fairly short order.

I'm into locks and chains to the tune of $300, and I now consider the
investment returned with interest.

Sorry this is long winded, but I thought you might be interested.
Ride safe, and lock-em up.

Mike
'06 St
Seattle