[ST] route suggestion, california?

Hey gang....
Going to be riding down to Salinas for Laguna MotoGP, from Portland.  Going
to make a stop in Eugene and probably will actually be starting from there
and then stay one night somewhere between there and Salinas.  Any
suggestions on some nice roads in between?  It looks like it's either 199 to
Crescent City then down the coast from there, or 96 from north of Yreka over
to Eureka and down.  Then it's either 101 or 1 down to Salinas, with a stop
to visit a friend in Brisbane.
I won't be in a hurry to go back North either so I was thinking of maybe
coming down via 199 then going back via 96 and cutting over to eastern
Oregon and up, say, 62 and catch some of the Cascade passes.
Picked up a Garmin Zumo and looking forward to testing it out.

And now for something completely different.....If anyone is interested in
photos of a recent motorcyle tour I took in Spain, culminating with the
Catalunya MotoGP race, check them out here:
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/ericsg/Catalunya%20GP%20Tour/

and here:
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/ericsg/Catalunya%20GP%20Tour/Catalunya%20GP%20Tour%20IMT%20Photos/

Thanks,