Re: [ST] Bike in the trailer (long)

At 01:08 PM 7/17/2007, you wrote:

>Way to go Matt.
>I passed up a Karma Deposit the other day and have been feeling bad
>about it ever since.
>Older Kaw UJM on the right shoulder of the freeway, 250 yards later:
>figure carrying helmet under arm and leather jacket over shoulder,
>walking. Excuse for not stopping: 4 lanes of traffic, and only 500 yards
>to an off-ramp leading to full services. I finished my business across
>town, and made a quick loop back to check on him, but the bike and rider
>were gone and no evidence of him at the services at the off ramp. I hope
>he got the bike back on the road with no more inconvenience. I'll stop
>for the next one.
>
>Mike
>'06 ST
>Seattle

Ever since the little episode I had last year when trailering the vfr
and driving the family to the smoky mountains, I have been adamantly
trying to "pay it forward".
So pretty much anytime I see a rider stopped, I will check up if I
can and make sure that he is okay.
The last time I did, it was a guy on a Concourse with about three
bikes worth of gear. He was from Canada and was doing a sort of four
corners of the USA tour. The rear suspension was collapsed and the
bike was litteraly supported by the rear tire. I could not see past
all the luggage and crap he had hanging on the bike to see if it was
the shock or the linkage, but the rear of the bike was no longer sprung.
I gave him some painters tape and a sharpie to leave a note ("this is
not an abandoned vehicle will return shortly with tow vehicle" and
the date and time) and a lift to the dealer.
I was told that there was not much of a happy ending for the guy's
trip or the bike, but I still feel like I did something right.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"