[ST] Sooty suggestions?

Hi all,

I've been musing over a little problem with my '00 ST.  About 6 weeks
ago I changed the plugs, and ever since then it has been very grumbly at
idle, even to the point of cutting out.  It doesn't start as nicely as
usual either, idles at around 800-900rpm, but seems to be otherwise
perfect.  Accelerates smoothly and fuel consumption appears to be normalish.

At that time nothing else was changed, although since then I have
changed the air filter.  The bike only has about 20K miles on it.
Before I changed the plugs it was running beautifully.  Yeah, that'll
teach me!

Anyway, this evening I stripped everything down again right down to
taking out the new plugs and they are very sooty.  I think they've done
maybe 400 miles.  The gap is normal (0.8-0.9mm) on all 3 plugs.  Before
I (a) go mad and pull everything else to bits or (b) go mad and write
the dealer a blank cheque to look at it, whilst it's in pieces is there
anything specific I should be checking?  I've just checked the Haynes
manual and it says to check the connectors and wiring to the idle air
valve, so I'll do that tomorrow evening.  Anything else I should look at?

Thanks for any help!

Andrew