Re: [St] [ST] 955 OIL Change

I do the same.  So what's a 1/2 L amoung friends?  It's not like the engine is like a Briggs and too much oil is bad because it doesn't "splash" properly.
I'm no mechanical expert, but because we have an oil pump and splash lubrication isn't an issue, I don't think a little extra i.e. 1/2 L will hurt anything except be wasteful.

-----Original Message-----
From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Neil Lindsey
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 10:44 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [St] [ST] 955 OIL Change

most Triumph mechanics I know, even the ones I respect otherwise, just throw
in 4 litres and shrug if/when you point out the discrepancy -- drives me
crazy

and for those of you that have dipsticks instead of sight glasses, contrary
to common belief/practice, the 955 manual specifies that you screw in the
dipstick fully to get an accurate read -- it makes quite a difference

I suppose that if you do it as specified initially, it would be ok to then
make note of where that level falls when you don't screw in the dipstick