Re: [St] Oil Filter Search

> Greetings from the Great White North.  My logistical adventure
> continues this week with a search for a better oil filter for my
> new garage mate.  Scouting around Ottawa, I have checked into about
> a dozen different motorcycle dealers, car parts suppliers and
> department stores.  I even went to the Walmart in my neighbourhood
> with great expectations of putting my paws on a carton of $3
> (dreaming in Cdn dollars; 5% exchange, another 45% markup to print
> the packaging in two languages...) Supertech oil filters.  To my
> immense dismay, the complete shelf of oil filters, left to right,
> top to bottom was comprised of Fram filters as was almost every
> other store I visited. The only exception was my local CanadianTire
> store which, instead of shitty $10 Fram filters, had equally poorly
> rated K&N filters at $20 ea.

I don't believe the Fram filters are as bad as everyone makes them
out to be.  I ran them on my cars for years with no problems.  On my
Nissan 240SX, in fact, it was the highly regarded Nissan OEM oil
filters which led to the demise of that motor (filter seal burst at
high rpm, with all the oil being pumped all over the outside of the
engine immediately), while the Fram filters worked perfectly for many
years and thousands of track miles.  A friend of mine with another
240SX had the same bad experience with an OEM Nissan oil filter, but
he was smart enough to quit using them for good after the first time.

You should be able to find the Purolator filter.  The Purolator
PureOne filter is very solid and looks like it is constructed very
well, and is rated highly by the cutaway tests.  It is about $5 at
pretty much any auto parts store here in the US, you might have
better luck finding it than the Supertech which I believe is only
carried by Walmart.

There is a comprehensive oil filter cross-reference here:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

and the articles on that site about oil are very well researched and
worth reading as well.

Jim