Re: [St] GenMar Risers - Canuck Update

At 12:30 AM 7/31/2007, you wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>It has been a quiet last couple of days on the list so I thought I
>would chime in with my latest, modest accessory upgrade, the
>purchase of a set of "T117" GenMar risers for my 06 Sprint ST.  I
>had committed to riding to Halihax in two weeks time and needed to
>raise my bars prior to departure.I considered three viable options;
>the Triump accessory bar, Convertibars (which are adjustable once
>installed) and GenMar risers.  While the riser option was the least
>"flexible", it was also the least expensive and the simpliest to
>install so I rolled the dice and ordered 'em up a week ago!  I
>thought I would pass along my brief experience to date for anyone
>else who finds the stock handlebar position on an '05 or '06 ST too low.
>
>Today   I received and installed my GenMar risers today, then took
>the Triumph for a short spin.
>
>The website said that they would install on the bike with no other
>mods and that the bars would not contact the fairing.  I was dubious
>of both claims when I started, however, half an hour later with
>little more that a pair of hex keys in hand, I had mounted the
>risers and reinstalled the bars. I started with the left bar which
>goes on rather easily.  There is lots of "give" to the clutch cable
>and the wiring harness that wends its way into the centre of the
>machine.  So far so good!
>
>The right side is somewhat more of a "challenge" due to a "just long
>enough" brake hose which ends up being stretched to its limit ...
>but fits.  The throttle cables required a bit of ingenuity.  After
>the first tightening down of the bolts, and then checking for
>clearance (with the bike on the centrestand), the throttle assembly
>contacted the fairing over the last two cms of travel.  Initially, I
>gained more clearance by rotating the throttle assembly
>counter-clockwise (looking end-on at the right hand
>bar).  Unfortunately, that put too much tension on the two cables.
>
>I eventually settled on re-routing the throttle cables outside and
>forward of the brake fluid reservoir.  The throttle assembly
>contacts the base of the reservoir mount a little awkwardly and the
>throttle assembly just barely contacts the fairing at full left
>lock, however,I do not ride at full lock often (!) and I experienced
>no binding on further trials, both static in my driveway and once
>rolling down the road.  After getting through the expected hassles
>of bolting on the risers, it was time to ride!
>
>While a 30 min ride is not definitive, I can say that the bars,
>while the angle is not quite perfect, feel much better!!!
>I am now much more confident that I can put in an all day ride
>sport-touring on the ST.
>
>More to follow in two weeks after I return from Halifax, NS after I
>roll up ~4000 kms in five days.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Brian
>GWN

Nice review, but I wonder how they compare in use and fitment to the
triumph pieces which are really just the 07 bars?

And you say that the angle is still not that great, what do you find
objectionable, the horizontal angle (or droop) or the pull back angle.

Interested since I'm still trying to get to a dealer with a black abs 07.
Some how the abs requirement got missed at the dealer in Central NJ.
They had a black one and were more than willing to take a certified
check for the bike and a credit card (or open their credit card) for
the other accessories, but it did not have abs, now Gill my salesman
is off trying to trade for one.
Does anyone know when the 08 sprints will start comming in

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"