Re: [ST] Weekly Charging of Battery needed...Explanation?

Dan,
Thanks for your concern.  They say a good ride is one you can walk
away from and if it's a really great ride, the bike can be ridden
again. I managed to walk away (or at least hobble) from my last ride
on the ST. One out of two ain't so bad ;o).  Talk about being away for
a while, I just got back from Spring Opener and found ~98 messages in
my "ST" inbox :o|.

If the battery is good - I'd double check that it load tests ok after
it has been sitting for a week or so - then the obvious other question
is the health of the charging system itself, including the electrical
connections therein.

A simple test you can run is to take a reading across the battery with
a digital volt meter.  Since the system's demand often exceeds the
alternator's output at idle, you'll see battery voltage then.  As you
gradually increase engine rpm, there will be a crossover point around
2k rpm where the alternator's output exceeds the draw on the system
and the voltage should rise to ~14v - the regulated voltage.

If there are dirty connections in the charging circuit, the battery
won't be fully charged.  With the same digital meter you can test for
voltage drops in the system.  This involves taking readings along the
current path.  For example, with the meter set on a low volts scale,
say 2v,  place one lead of the meter on the battery (+) terminal and
the other on the (+) connection at the solenoid, then engage the
starter.  There needs to be current flowing for the test to have
meaning.  The reading you see on the meter (.5v, for example) is the
*difference* or "voltage drop" between the two points.  You'll want to
clean connections along the way to reduce these drops to a minimum.
Typically, starter circuit drops should not exceed .5v; any other
circuit should be below .2v.  Make the same tests on the ground side.
A little dielectric grease on the various connections will go a long
ways towards keeping the voltage drop gremlins at bay.
HTH,

--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST < rip :o|

Dan wrote:
> Firstly, Rick, been away for a while and just saw about the
crash.  Trust you're OK as Janice mentioned a new Tiger had your
name on it...

Back to my problem.  My ST requires recharging every week or so.
My riding is mixed, highway speeds and city driving; not
excessive in either mode.

I brought the battery in to be load tested and was told it was
fine and the bike starts up strongly after a charge.

Sometimes, however, when I press the start button, there is
....nothing....just peace and quiet.  When I instinctively
(immediately) press it again, the engines turns over and starts.

So, my non-mechanical brain starts to think intermittent short.
But where to start to look?  Could it be something else?

In all other respects, bike is functioning as expected. <