Re: [ST] New rider to the list

Mark Needham wrote:
> Good morning all.
>
> Mark here. Rider in Washington State but transplanted from across the pond. I used to own a CBR600F3 (Betsy) but gave her up as my knee was giving a little trouble after riding her for a few miles.
>
> Up comes this beautiful Sprint ST (1999 model). I knew as soon as I saw the ad she was going to be mine (Gloria). 18k miles, new sprockets and chain, heated grips, full luggage, carbon exhaust, and alarm system (which I am beginning to detest a little). I never remember to disable the motion detector!!!!!
>
> If I may be so bold and ask, Does the front brake lever always travel a fair way before the brakes apply? I was a control rider for a street skills day and found that the lever was traveling further and further as the day progressed. Is this Triumph's wear indicator?
>
> Mark

Welcome to the liST Mark!

The progressively spongier front brake is a common problem.  Easily cured by
taking off a caliper, insert a paint stir stick or similar between the pads to
keep the pistons from coming out fully, squeeze the lever to push out the pots,
then spray some brake cleaner around the pots at the caliper to clean.  An old
toothbrush can help in some areas.  Take care not to pollute the brake pad
surface...

Spread the pads out a little, reinstall the caliper (mounting bolts get 40 Nm of
torque) and repeat for the other side.

You should enjoy a few thousand miles of good lever feedback.  It's the buildup
of dirt that keeps the pots from moving properly in the seals.

Hope it helps,

--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\