Re: [ST] Caliper piston cleaning

JES_VFR wrote:

> First, how often would you people recommend cleaning the pistons on
> the Sprints?

I do it anytime the caliper is off, such as tire or pad changes, and have been
happy.  But anytime you feel it's a little mushy, it's easy enough to displace a
caliper and carefully spray behind the pads which seems to help a bunch.

> Also does the choice of pad material (ie.
> one of the low-dust pads) make a difference in the interval?

Which pads would those be?  I just replaced OEM rear pads with the usual HH
Sintereds but can't speak to dust difference yet.

> I never thought much about it before, but it does seem kind of
> strange that motorcycle calipers do not use a second sealing ring to
> clean the pistons like most vehicles do. Is there any particular
> reason for that I wonder?

Good Q.  I'd guess because of size/space to work with?

> last though, has anyone ever tried one of the new dry Teflon sprays
> on the exposed portions of the pistons? I would think that since it
> is dry and rejects the dirt that it would help keep the pistons
> moving smoothly against the seals. The spray would have to be kept
> away from the pad material, so it might only be something to consider
> when the pads are out of the caliper, but it certainly would seem
> something to consider.

I use that on chains now, but might consider it.  Will await some feedback from
others but since pistons aren't really lubbed except with a little brake fluid
at assembly time when going into the seal, what's to keep the dust from sticking
to clean surfaces vs. dry teflon lubbed surfaces?

--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\