Re: [ST] Caliper piston cleaning

At 06:24 AM 6/13/2007, you wrote:

> >Not really, I tried a bunch of stuff and ended up getting 90% of it
> >off with Acetone and a scotchbrite pad.
>Acetone?? That seems pretty aggressive. And scotchbritt even more.
>I avoid to mix anything except break cleaner w/ dot4 (especially teflon).
>Seals are made for dot4 and only dot4.
>The only griding material I allow myself is a piece of plastic or
>wood + tooth brush.
>Take time for sure.
>
>I do it at pads change. OK so far.
>
>Fred ST 02 BRG

Sorry Fred,
I was referring to what I had to use to remove the fling off/drip off
dry teflon lube from the rear rim. Once it dries it is really
tenacious and I had tried something milder like like brake cleaner to
remove it from the wheel but it really did not budge.

Of course if  I had cleaned the rim more frequently, then perhaps the
buildup would have been more easily removed.
I guess I have to spend time cleaning the rim with brake cleaner or
some such right after I lube the chain from now on.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"