Re: [ST] Calling All Listers

On 13 Jun 2007, at 15:55, JES_VFR wrote:

> Well, I guess that Apple finally got the point.
> I had an early mac and the never ending "upgrade the hardware/upgrade
> the os" cycle was really irritating.
> Then about 10 years back my dad bought a mac and he went thought
> the same bit.
> Need a new piece of software, you have to upgrade the OS to run it,
> Oh wait, you have to upgrade the hardware to run the new OS.

10 years back was during the time that Apple introduced the PowerPC
architecture to replace the eariler Motorola 68000 based machines.
They also introduced PCI card architecture about same time, and were
struggling to sort out where to take System 7 - lots of money spent
on the aborted 'copland' OS, so Apple was bringing in System 8
(deeply unloved).  So lots of hardware change, and problems with OS
compatibility and so on.  But that was 10 years ago.  We bought a G4
Cube for our company in 2000, and it ran without problems until we
retired it last year.  During that time we upgraded from OS9 to OS X
- and had no need to upgrade anything in the hardware - it even ran
'Tiger' without problem.   I think Apple learnt quite a lot during
the late 1990s about how *not* to upgrade OS and hardware platforms -
the transition to Intel processors has been remarkably smooth: our
firm has a mixed community of older and new Macs, and we've only had
one issue - a weird problem with TrueType fonts that was fixed after
a while.

We used to run Windows computers for most users.  We moved everyone
over to macs over the last two years.  The reason for the move was
simple - the windows computers were in need of almost continual
support / fixing / rebuilding OS etc. - and with Macs we have almost
no support issues at all.  Mostly they just work.  Not something we'd
say about our Windows experience.

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03