From: John Ulizzi <jaulizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 2:58 pm
Subject: Re: [ST] Torque spec on RS rear wheel?

Geez Guys,
All I needed was a torque spec, I didnt mean to start
 thread...
:-)
What I find interesting is the whole concept of
napping bolts. Being the ham fisted brute that I am,
 have done this a few times on lesser things the size
f caliper bolts and such, but I cant imagine a human
eing able to snap off the axle bolt on my RS...Maybe
 need to start eating Wheaties again....
John

-- Zoltan Pavlakovich <zpavlakovich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think it's possible for the rear nut to come
 loose on a SSSA,
 I does have a safety wire / clip engaged to the
 serrations on the nut,
 preventing it from vibrating loose. Am I wrong?

 On 6/19/07, simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx <simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:
 > Quoting Chris Harwood <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
 >
 > > You've just reminded me of a crankshaft end-bolt
 that a friend and I had
 > > to remove from his 3-litre straight-six.
 > >
 > > Niether of us knew if it was RH or LH thread
 despite me removing one a
 > > month prevously.
 > >
 > > After over 2 hours and 3 shattered 3/4 sockets,
 we got it free during a
 > > refreshment break and it had a 'neck' in it that
 was about 75% of its
 > > intended diameter.
 > >
 > > I guess that makes me avoid the 'ham-fisted'
 category by a very small
 > > margin!
 >
 > One of those "it's coming loose/oh dear we are
 past the elastic limit" moments.