Re: [ST] copper grease and torque settings

In a previous email,  Kevin Dicks wrote:
> I have been told the total opposite - all torque settings are DRY.  Adding
> anti-seize, while a good idea for dis-similar metals especially, effectively
> acts as a lubricant so the appropriate torque settings need to be reduced.

I actually saw this in a seminar on fasteners. The set up was a bolt
going through a plate that read the compression pressure applied by
tightening the nut to the proper torque. No anti-seize was used. The nut
was loosened then re-tightened to the proper torque. The reading was now
lower. This was done two more times and each time the pressure was less
than the previous time. Anti-seize was then applied and the nut
re-tightened. The pressure was higher than the initial reading. I don't
know all the physics behind it but that is my story and I'm stickin' to it!

--
Steve Lawler
Construction Coordinator

"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid
people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"
             -- Scott Adams