Re: [ST] Flat Battery

drbrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Chris,
>
> You are correct that I errored in confusing cold cranking amps with amperage in an automotive battery.
>
> The point remains that an automotive charging system is capable of producing many more amps than a motorcycle electrical system can handle.  The result is damaged components, typically the regulator rectifier is the first to fail.
>
> Rick

Rick, I think you need to re-read what Neil is saying.  Yes, its true
that a car's charging system is designed to provide higher current than
a bikes.  But that is irrelevant when it comes to charging and starting,
as the current draw is determined by the object that is "drawing" the
current, not the object that is providing the power.  So (as Neil
stated) the motorcycle starter motor will draw the same current from a
fully charged motorcycle battery as it will from a running car.
As to the issue with R/R's, I'm pretty sure that's due to the
"transients" that Neil mentioned as well. That probably explains the
issues that you talked about with the GS...