Re: [ST] Heated grip question...

Thanks a bunch Mike...the link you provided was the inspiration to put my
in-bar heaters on my S3.

-----Original Message-----
From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Montville
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 10:31 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Heated grip question...

Kevin,

No photos of my own (finally picked up a digital camera Saturday), but here
are some: http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/heated-grips-alt.php

I used solder-reinforced crimp connectors, and installed quick-disconnects
between the switch and the rest of the wiring, to ease any disassembly of
the fairing, handlebars or steering stem.

This version of the grip heaters no longer requires installation of an
inline resistor that was needed previously to compensate for heating the
left grip (metal), versus the nylon throttle tube right side.

Being a bit anal, I used 1" shrink wrap on the clutch side anyway, and the
heat is very even side to side.

Don't be concerned about where to position the inevitable gap that results
when wrapping the heater around the grips -- it doesn't affect even heating.
Be more concerned about making the wires exit where you want them to be
routed.

Be prepared to put the grip back on as soon as you wrap the heaters on --
this prevents the heater wrap ends from trying to lift during the 24 hours
that the heater adhesive takes to cure completely.  The kit recommends epoxy
glue on the grips, but I just used a liberal dose of hairspray, and that
helps sliding them on.

Make sure the wire exiting the throttle has enough clearance between the
grip flange and the throttle housing, so as to not bind.  Here, I actually
drilled a hole through the grip flange to avoid any binding.

The wires exiting the heaters have now been reinforced to eliminate any
tendency for them to fracture.  I followed one other tip that I saw
illustrated online: on the throttle side, I wrapped the wire around the
throttle tube once, and safety-wired it to itself -- totally prevents any
fracture from a pull strain.

HTH,
Mike

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=16