Re: [ST] California Travelin

On Mar 20, 2007, at 4:22 PM, st-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:39:43 -0600
> From: "Dan Wallander" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] California Travelin
> To: <st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hey all,
>
> I'm planning on traveling from San Diego to East of Sacramento (Folsum)
> beginning of April.
>
> A friend just moved there from Albuquerque and I'm riding his Trophy
> out
> from Albuquerque for him, visiting my Dad in San Diego on the way.
>
> I'll be making the last leg, San Diego to Folsum, on a weekday and I
> wish to
> avoid LA traffic if at all possible.  I'd also like to get in a few
> twisty
> roads, the straight and wide gets boring fast.
>
> Anyone have any route suggestions?  Time on the road isn't all that
> important, 600 to 700 miles in a day is doable.  If I get tired, I can
> lay
> up in a hotel.
>
> Thanks
>

> Dan Wallander
> '99 Sprint ST
> '84 Honda 500 Shadow (for sale)
> '74 BMW R90/6
> '02 Tiger (hers)
> '?? Trophy 1200 (borrowed)

> OMG! Between San Diego and LA there are twisties until your nose
> bleeds. Look up areas around Julian and Palomar, Ortega Highway.
> Around LA there is Los Angeles Crest Hwy, the Santa Monica Mountains
> with endles canyons, east of route 99 there are plenty of roads
> leading up to the Sequoias, etc.
> Have fun!

Just FYI. Angeles Crest Highway (CA 2 North out of La Canada - just
north of LA) is an incredible road (recently resurfaced - and right out
my backdoor). And if you look at a map you might think you could
incorporate it into your trip by taking it over to Wrightwood and
continuing up. BUT, you can't, it's closed due to mud slides a couple
of years ago and you'll hit a dead end. You could, however, take a ride
up the Crest to Newcomb's Ranch - the road is great (27 miles of
twisties), have a bite to eat, turn around and go back down a few miles
and pick up Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Rd to Angeles Forest Highway to
Palmdale and there you have a lot of options to continue north. The
Crest is a fabulous road and there are always bikers up at Newcomb's...
if you're gonna be in the LA area and have time, you shouldn't miss it.

Here's some sites about the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeles_Crest_Highway
http://twistingasphalt.com/index.php/archives/2005/06/23/a-1-year-
celebration-the-angeles-crest/
http://home.comcast.net/~vickman/trip10.htm
http://www.lateralg.org/foothills.htm#1
http://www.newcombsranch.com/

Here's a google map I made up really quick. It incorporates Angeles
Crest, CA-58 (another fabulous road), and The Pacific Coast Highway.
Maybe a little long but some great twisties and beautiful scenery. The
Coast Highway can be pretty slow in spots but the scenery is
incredible. This doesn't help you avoid LA traffic (maybe someone else
has an idea). I'm sure there's a million ways to do it.

http://tinyurl.com/39ylek

When are you doing this trip? Maybe I'll meet you for a leg.

SRM