Re: [ST] Motorcycling in the DR

Stephen Dropp wrote:
> In 2005 I went to the Dominican Republic and since then I have wanted to
> take my Sprint down there and tour the country’s highways. One of the
> problems is cost of shipping the bike there and the second is the extreme
> danger, and of course no dealerships any where in case of a break down
Stephen,
I too have been to the DR recently and really wanted to have a cycle
while I was there.  What part of the country were you in?  We were up in
the mountains south of Santiago (flew into Santiago), and then spent a
few days on the north coast.
Cycle related, I'd much rather have a DS or supermoto type bike there
than my Sprint.  The light weight and longer travel suspension would be
very useful where I visited.  I agree about the dangers of driving
there, it was pretty crazy.  At one point on the road, some locals had
helped the world out by filling a pot hole with dirt AND a large tree
branch.  The pothole was approx 18" in diameter, and the branch was
about 3-4" dia. and stuck up almost 5 ft above the road surface...

Dan