[ST] Minor Stumbling Problem

I need the collective wisdom of the group.  I have a '00 ST with Triumph
carbon silencer and the latest Triumph tune installed last year.  I've
owned it for 4 years.  It has 58,000km and has been a fantastic, reliable
machine - with one small glitch.  Since day one, under steady throttle and
light load, the engine stumbles below about 4000rpm.  Nothing major and I've
adjusted my riding style somewhat to compensate.  It is just a bit of a pain
when doddling around town.  Under acceleration, everything is fine.  It
seems to also be fine when the engine is cold.  There is some minor
backfiring when slowing.

Here's my working theory:  The temperature gauge always reads in the cold
range.  Could it be that the coolant sensor is giving the ECU an incorrect
signal resulting in an incorrect mixture for the real engine temp?  I expect
this would make the engine run rich, but the plugs showed a nice tan colour
last time I had them out.  But it would explain the backfiring.

What do you think?

Peter