Re: [ST] GPS audio directions

John Hickman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am considering buying a Garmin Quest GPS for use in the car, camping,
> kayaking, and of course on my '99ST.  According to the website, you can use
> audio directions for routes through a tiny speaker on the 12V DC power cable
> (the main unit has no speaker or headphone jack).

Heya John,

I've used a Garmin Quest for a couple of years now, and I can't say that looking
at the screen when you shouldn't be has been any problem at all.  The unit
itself does not have the speaker in it, it's in the 12v adaptor used when in the
car.

If you want on-bike audio, you'll want to get Garmin's Motorcycle Mount for
Quest, which has a female 3.5mm audio out jack dangling from it's power lead.
Ofcourse you'll also want to rig up some in-helmet audio, such as MotoComm on
the low end or AutoCom on the high end.  I went to Autocom late last fall and
wish I had just done that from the get-go.

Leaving auto-route on when you're trying to follow a specified route is another
problem and story all together! ;^{D  Oh, and Quest has been replaced by Quest 2
which features all the US detail maps pre-loaded so you don't have to use a
computer to load a few states at a time.

HIH!

--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\