Re: [ST] ST questions, at least a couple

At 09:16 AM 5/8/2007, you wrote:
>John,
>I'm about your size, and ride an '03 ST (pre 05 there were both Sprint
>ST's and RS's).  My wife and I enjoy taking a week-long trip on the bike
>every year.  With both of us on the bike, as well as fully loaded
>panniers, we're getting really close (read: AT) the weight limit of the
>bike...  That said, the Sprint does exceptionally.  The only issues we
>have are passenger legroom (wife has a 34" inseam), and the factory
>seat.  The most miles we've done in a day two-up is just over 450...
>
>The only real way to know if the bike will work is to try it.  Many
>people prefer it to the VFR for the added low-end grunt (I can't
>comment, haven't tried the VFR), but say that the ergos are (were) very
>similar.  I think that the 2007 has a more relaxed position, due to the
>raised bars.
>
>Good luck on whatever you decide!  As for this list, its been around
>since the first Sprint ST showed up in 99 (late 98?) and we've generally
>welcomed newcomers, no matter the year of their bike.
>
>Dan

Well, my decision needs to be made since my son is not going to get
much lighter and with him along sans his luggage, we are OVER the
VFR's listed capacity. So far the only issue that has cropped up has
been bottoming of the rear shock on some bigger dips. I know that a
much stiffer rear spring and good shock will alleviate this issue,
but it will not remove the fact that we overweight on the VFR.

I've considered the FJR, a bmw and ducati before coming back around
to the triumph sprint st. I like the looks of it and in black it
really catches my eye. I just wanted to get honest answers from a
group of owners as to the bike's weaknesses so I could avoid many surprises.

Thanks

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"