Re: [ST] Switch question, now wiring

John , ( or anyone else),

Your comments about wire gauge and strand got me to
thinking: Does there exist a chart or rule of thumb as
to the correct gauge wire to be used for a specific
amp rated circuit in 12 volt applications? For
instance, with residential 110v romex, it is 14ga for
15 amp, 12ga for 20 amp and 10ga for 30 amp. Does such
a rule of thumb exist for 12volt
automotive/motorcycle/marine applications?

Your post jogged my memory because I was recently
adding circuitry to my boat, and used high strand 16
gauge 4 conductor audio speaker wire for the
application. It worked great for several reasons,
including the facts that it had a CL-2 fire code rated
outer jacket, and as it was 4 conductor, I could
double it up and have 14-2, or put all four conductors
together, run two complete lengths, and have 12gauge (
had to do that for the audio system..). It's pretty
versatile stuff, which is good since I have a few
thousand feet of it laying around at any given
time....

John