  From: "Lou Kallery"
  To: st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [ST] Brake bleeding
  Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:12:24 -0700

  Tony,

  All the info you got from the list would probably be worth saving --
  virtual brake maintenance manual.

  I did notice a small problem with Speed Bleeders, though, that might
  be
  worth mentioning. I recently acquired an '83 Yamaha Seca 750 in
  Touring
  configuration. I went through the brakes, rebuilt the master cylinder
  and
  the calipers -- they were notorious for collecting water -- which
  requires
  the dismantling of the fairing -- a time consuming process. With all
  rebuilt and Speed Bleeders installed, I happily started down the home
  stretch to the easy job of bleeding the brakes -- but the same issues
  you
  speak of occurred with the Seca. I found that if enough air were in
  the
  lines, it seemed as though the spring on the Speed Bleeder valve
  would not
  compress and the brakes remained spongy. I refit the stock bleeders,
  sucked
  air through the lines until I got fluid -- even used a version of the
  minyvac. Then I bled the lines a few times in a conventional manner.
  When
  I began to get sufficient pressure at the lever, I refitted the Speed
  Bleeders and finished the job -- all went well thereafter.

  Lou