Re: [ST] RIP?

At 05:07 PM 3/30/2007, Our List Mechanic in Oregon wrote:

>On Mar 30, 2007, at 2:40 PM, halfast3 wrote:
>
> >> Sorry to hear about the crash Rick. Glad you only needed Aleve.<
> >
> > Thanks, Matt.  I was thinking about getting another bike anyway but
> > hadn't intended to take such extreme measures...
>
>It might be heresy to say on this list, but since moving to the north
>coast, I find I spend a lot more time on the KLR. Although I'm still
>glad I have more than one option.
>
>I was reading about the new Tiger in the new issue of MCN last night
>and I was thinking if my ST needed to be replaced, that would be a
>serious contender.

Rick,

Sorry to hear about your crash. When people ask me about crashing OR
'Why do you wear all that '*&t when it's so hot out? I say it's not
'if' but 'when' because experienced riders make mistakes, too. Glad
you are only bruised.

I was reading the same article & had the same thoughts. No thoughts
of replacing my ST now but when I do get to that point (I think it's
okay to think about this so long as one's time fame is far out or
when a theft or crash necessitates his exercise) the 1050 Tiger looks
very desirable indeed. Only gripe MCN had on it was an apparent
abrupt on/off throttle response. They say this is owed to the fact
the newer dual butterfly setup is great at many things including fuel
economy,  it is not so great at letting a little gas through. The
'old' one butterfly plus ____ system was better at that and was not
too  bad with the lightswitch effect which can be so annoying.
Annoying particularly at times when you're riding at 9 and a fraction
of a fraction leaned way over in a corner and you have shut down &
try to meter just a bit (of gas) and you get the big jerk it is
annoying & emotionally as well as spiritually unsettling. Seems like
the new dual butterfly setups are great at all things fuel delivery
except that. It should be said, l though, that familiarity with a
particular machines tendency to do this can be gotten used to. You
train yourself to be smooth. I think it is that on some bikes you
don't have to even think about it and on others you have to really
concentrate to keep it from totally unsettling the suspension when
you go off-on throttle mid corner.Then you get used to it and you
realize that you're not having to really concentrate to do it
smoothly - you've just learned to make it work smooth out of practice
and familiarity & it's second nature to you now. I know it was that
way with my 2006 GSXR-750. This tendency aggravated the hell out of
me at first and now I don't even think about it. Could be the same
with someone that buys a new Tigger coming off a hack-proof bike like
our Gen II Sprints.

Regarding seat height.....I think Rick you may find it not necessary
to have both feet firmly planted on some bikes. If you think about
off road oriented bikes and their towering seat heights and the what
must be the average inseam of riders you gotta figure most folks can
not even nearly put ONE foot flat on the ground without sliding off
to one side some. Personally I do not think it is a concern to have
to tippy toe or slide off slightly to put your foot down. If you
think about it we are really only propping ourselves up sightly. It's
not like somebody could put their foot down & hold the bike up if it
is going off center standing-up axis with ANY conviction at all.
Because all the motorcycles we ride are so heavy. So IMO to be able
to dab a toe is all this is necessary. Just my .02. I know others
really disagree w/me on this. I guess it is the time I have spent on
long travel 36" seat height off road & mx bikes that make me realize
how unimportant it is. Just look at Ricky Carmichael - that guy needs
a stepladder to get on & off a bike & he managed okay;-) FWIW I can't
flat foot my Sprint with both feet. With bike leaned over a tad I can
get ONE flat & the other is on the opposite peg. But not both feet
simultaneously. 29" inseam.

John Petrey
Enjoying my Sprint again 135 miles a day!